- Some people don’t get treatment.
- Some doctors won’t treat persons struggling with addiction.
- Some pharmaceutical companies won’t work toward developing new treatments for persons struggling with addiction.
“…The sense of stigma is most likely to diminish as a result of public education and broader acceptance of addiction as a treatable disease.” —Institute of Medicine
- Shatterproof.org is an excellent web site that helps educate, provide tools and info on programs and ways we all can reduce the shame associated with addiction.
- Download a list of words to use and words to let go around
addiction– substance use disorders.
- Canada worked with messaging experts Frameworks to develop this comprehensive report on re framing addiction.
- The Face of Recovery is a video that shows how we all can suffer from substance use disorder and we all can recover successfully.
- Faces and Voices of Recovery is a national movement dedicated to organizing and mobilizing the over 23 million Americans in recovery from addiction to promote the right and resources to recover through advocacy, education and demonstrating the power and proof of long-term recovery.
- Hear guest speakers from Young People in Recovery share their stories.
- Check out Facebook clips of guests who shared something about stigma or recovery.